Background

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Corn Chowder

Remember when you were a kid and mom or grandma served mashed potatoes with white cream gravy and corn for dinner? Did you ever mix the corn and potatoes and gravy together? Come on....you know you did. I lived for to it. My mom served this almost every Sunday, usual with Roast Beef or Corn-Flake-Encrusted Chicken. As soon as "Amen" was said, I would carefully start mixing the corn into the gravy, and then into the potatoes. Slowly, methodically...aiming for just the right ratio. Mmmmmmm....Pardon me while I wipe the drool off of my chin and the tear from my eye.

This is my grown up version. I have no idea where I first found the recipe. I think I tore it from a magazine or newspaper. I've tweaked it and changed it a bit over the years and have ended up with this. It tastes so much like that cream gravy-potato-corn combo of my youth, with the grown up zing of the basil and a little tomato to brighten in all. It's also nice, light, and healthy since it's made with skim milk and thickened with the potato.


Corn Chowder

6 ears Fresh Sweet Corn (Note: You could also use 3 cups of frozen kernal corn)
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth (I like to mix half and half)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and bruised
1-2 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 cups skim milk
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 pound bacon, cut into 1/3 inch dice
1 medium sized onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
4 medium sized ripe tomatoes (I like to use roma tomatoes)
1/4 cup slivered fresh basil

Cut the corn from the cob and set aside. Simmer cobs, broth, and garlic in a pot, partially covered, for 10 minutes. Discard cobs and garlic. Stir in the potatoes and half of the corn. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Using a blender or immersion blender (One of my favorite kitchen items!!) blend until smooth (or leave a little chunky, your call.) Return to the pan, stir in the milk, salt and pepper and set aside. (Not over heat.)

In a saute pan, cook the bacon over low heat until the fat renders, about 6-8 minutes. Add onion and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the reserved soup mixture and remaining corn and simmer for 8 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the tomatoes and basil. Stir and let sit for 3-5 minutes. Serve with more fresh basil sprinkled on top. Serve with a nice crusty load of sourdough bread.

Serves: 6-8

Freezer Instructions: Prepare as above. Let cool then freeze in large freezer bag or other container. Let defrost in refrigerator overnight. Warm over medium-low heat, stirring frequently to prevent the milk for curdling or scalding. Serve with sourdough bread (or in a sourdough bread bowl) with thinly sliced fresh basil sprinkled on top.

Note: Check the salt and pepper and adjust to taste while reheating. I have found that the seasoning level seems to change with freezing for this recipe, usually getting stronger. I wonder if it's the potatoes/potato starch?? I don't overly season prior to freezing then add more salt/pepper afterwards.

Another Note: You can absolutely substitute soy milk for the milk. I use the original. Don't use the vanilla (did this accidentally once -- not good at all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment